Adding a second storey to your home can be a great way to increase living space and improve the value of your property.
However, it’s important to keep in mind that there are often hidden costs associated with building a second story. Here are some hidden costs you should consider before embarking on a second-story project.
- Structural Changes: Adding a second story to your home requires significant structural changes, which can add up quickly in terms of expenses. You may need to reinforce the existing foundation or add a new support beam to the first floor to accommodate the added weight of the second story.
- Building Permits: You’ll need to obtain building permits before you can start construction on your second storey. Depending on your location, the cost of these permits can vary significantly, and they can be an unexpected expense if you’re not prepared for them.
- Staircase: You’ll need to add a staircase to your second storey. The cost will depend on the design and materials used, and it’s important to factor this into your budget.
- HVAC (Heating, Ventilation and Cooling) and Electrical Upgrades: Adding a second storey to your home may require upgrades to your HVAC and electrical systems. You may need to install new ductwork or wiring to accommodate the new living space.
- Roofing: You’ll need to add a new roof to your home to accommodate the second storey.
- Plumbing: You may need to make upgrades to your plumbing system to accommodate the added living space. You may need to install additional bathrooms or move existing plumbing fixtures.
- Design and Engineering Fees: You’ll need to work with an architect and engineer to design your second storey, which can add up in terms of fees. Depending on the complexity of the project. These fees can be a significant expense.
In conclusion, building a second storey to your home can be an attractive option, but it’s important to consider the hidden costs of your home before starting your project. With proper planning and budgeting, you can make your second storey project a success without breaking the bank.
Want to talk to a specialist? Get in contact with our build consultants today! They have a wide range of expertise in the area allowing you to make an informed decision.